In view of Expo 2015, the City of Milan is promoting a process of participation and intercultural dialogue between immigrants and the host community. The purpose: to promote concrete practices of reappropriation and care of the land, sustainable consumption and food quality issues. The project proposes a theoretical and practical training course free of charge about Urban Gardens. The course being divided into two parts:
- a theoretical part dedicated to agronomy and farming aspects;
- a practical part dedicated to experimentation in the field, for planning, preparation and planting of a vegetable garden.
The project provides that the course is addressed to 40 recipients, from the following macro-geographical areas of origin:
- Southern Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- Horn of Africa
- Central and South America
- Far East and Southeast Asia
- Eastern Europe (non-EU) and the former Soviet Republics
- Middle East and Maghreb
- Indian Subcontinent
The project also provides the distribution of kits among the course students in order to stimulate the creation of the network of micro-home vegetable gardens.